Saturday, April 17, 2010

Summer & Giving it another try....

Hey there... toke a little bit of a bloggin break last week. It could be the amazing weather... our new found love for rollerblading or the fact that I would rather dig in my garden than be on the computer. But don't worry Ill keep you updated with what Im cooking... over the next couple months I have some parties planned that I will be cooking for in addition to the normal everyday stuff! I LOVE MN Summers! (Speaking of that my truck came out of storage thanks to the Hubby!)

Anyway- back to cooking... during our 5 day food challenge earlier this year I cooked lentils... Im not sure if it was the curry in the recipe, the lentils them self or the fact that I was so hungry but I HATED them! Now I'm not a picky eater... just add that to the only 1 other thing I have tried and didn't like! So I'm giving it another chance with a recipe I found in my Cooking Light mag this week:
Spicy Red Lentil Stew
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 cups chopped red onion
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 tablespoons Berbere spice
3 cups organic vegetable broth
1 cup dried small red lentils
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
4 cups hot cooked basmati rice
Preparation
1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add ginger and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in tomato paste and Berbere spice; cook 1 minute, stirring to combine. Gradually add broth, stirring with a whisk until blended. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a simmer.
2. Rinse lentils until cold water; drain. Add lentils to broth mixture; simmer, partially covered, 35 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve over rice.

Keep on Cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment